The University was established as “Zonguldak Karaelmas University” accordance with the Law no. 3837 issued on July 11th 1992 and was later named as as “Bülent Ecevit University” on April 11th 2012 with law no. 6287.
In order to exploit the coalmines in the Black Sea basin by a technically educated staff, a School of Mine Engineering was established in 1924 in Zonguldak, however, it was closed after a period of time and was replaced by a Vocational School of Mining and Mine Foremen which then became Technical School of Mining in 1949. This institution was moved to Istanbul in 1961. With the Law no.165 “Law for Opening a New Technical School in Zonguldak” issued in 1962, this technical school was converted into The State Academy of Engineering and Architecture” with Law no.1184, while buildings were under construction.
The Academy, which consisted of Mining, Mechanics, Electricity and Construction departments in accordance with the Law no.1184, became The Faculty of Engineering which consisted of Mine Engineering and Mechanical Engineering departments in accordance with the Statutory Decree no.41 issued in 1981, and then merged with Hacettepe University under the name of Zonguldak Faculty of Engineering on June 20th, 1982. With the foundation of Bülent Ecevit University in accordance with Law no.3837, this Faculty which forms the basis of the University, Zonguldak Vocational School, Alaplı Vocational School and Hacettepe University Zonguldak Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences under the name of “Çaycuma Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences” merged with the University. Then the name Çaycuma Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences was altered as Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences on December 13th, 2005.
Ereğli Faculty of Education established on January 18th, 1995, Zonguldak School of Health Services established on November 2nd, 1996 and Fethi Toker Faculty of Fine Arts and Design The School of Maritime Business and Management was established on October 12th, 2005 and then it was altered into Maritime Faculty on 10th November 2013.
The State Conservatory was established in accordance with the decision taken in The meeting of the Council of Higher Education on March 5th, 2004 and Gökçebey Mithat-Mehmet Çanakçı Vocational School established accordance with the decision taken in meeting on May 5th, 2006 was opened.
Bülent Ecevit University continued to expand at an amazing rate wih new faculties and schools. Faculty of Dentistry was established on February 13th, 2008, Faculty of Fine Arts was established on August 26th 2008. Faculty of Communication and School of Physical Education and sports were established on November 15th, 2010. BEU kept growing with the establishment of Faculty of Pharmacy and Faculty of Theology on June 23rd 2012, Ereğli Vocational School on September 26th 2012 and Schoolf of Foreign Languages on July 24th 2013. The immense growth of Bulent Ecevit University is stil in progress. Çaycuma School of Civil Aviation and Devrek School of Applied Sciences were established on March 9th 2015. Bülent Ecevit University currently has 14 Faculties, 5 Schools, 7 Vocational Schools and a State Conservatory.